4-Inch Tablet full review Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8
The Galaxy Tab Pro
- 4 is ten percent taller, four percent narrower, and maybe a smidge thinner than the Apple mini-iPad Retina. The two are almost exactly the same weight.
- The Tab Pro 4 has a pleasing simulated-leather back, which is very realistic in look and feel, including stitching. The mini-iPad retina has a metal back. O/S, RAM & STORAGE The Tab Pro 4 runs on Android 2 (Kit Kat) which is the latest released version of Android – seems to be a very stable and a well executed O/S. I have yet to run into anything funny or alarming with it. One thing I like very much about Kit Kat is that the O/S manages your memory for you -you no longer have to worry about where things go. And it has a massive memory/storage capability
- -2 GB RAM, plus 16 GB of fast internal storage, plus up to 64 GB external micoSDXC storage, for a whopping 80 GB of very fast combined on-board storage capability. In comparison, the Apple min-iPad Retina does not have a user-accessible external storage, so once you purchase your mini-iPad, you can’t add more storage later.
- Apple does offer sub-models with more internal storage, but at a greatly increased price, for example at 64GB, nearly $60Compare that to an 80GB Tab Pro 4 at $400 ($350 for the 16 GB Tab Pro + $50 for the 64GB microSDXC card.).
- WiFi & Bluetooth The Tab Pro
- 4 has the latest versions of Bluetooth (version 0), and WiFi (8011 a/b/g/n/ac),.
- -Infra Red Blaster Infra Red Blaster provides an all-device remote control.
- -HDMI The tab Pro 4 does NOT have a dedicated HDMI port, though it does support a USB to HDMI adapter, which you can purchase at many outlets, including Amazon. com.
- -WiFi Direct WiFi Direct allows you to connect wirelessly with multiple devices (that also have WiFi Direct capability) and share information and files. WiFi Direct may not be immediately useful to you, but it is a feature you would probably want in all your future devices.
- -USB to PC Normally, when you connect a handheld device to a PC by USB cable, the device becomes just an external storage device to your PC (or Mac), and no other features of the device can be used while so connected.
If you do this on the Tab Pro 4, you will see two new storage devices on your PC: “Card”and”Tablet.””Tablet”is the internal storage (16 GB) that comes with the device don’t mess with it.
“Card”is the external microSD card that you can install, and add files to from your PC.
If you go about changing folder and file names you didn’t add, you can screw up your device. When you are connected to a PC by USB, the Tab Pro 4’s battery will not be charged. So you should have the Tab Pro 4 fully charged before attaching it to a PC by USB cable.
-Kies Samsung Kies is software to install on your PC or Mac which enables you to connect safely using a USB cable to update firmware, synchronize files, and transfer data much faster that Bluetooth. You can also synch with your PC’s Windows Media Player (but forget synching with Apple iTunes Apple just won’t cooperate with Samsung or Google in any way.)
You download Kies to your PC from Samsung’s website. There may be more than one version
You use the latest version For the Tab Pro After you install Kies, it will ask you to download a Samsung Kies USB driver that will increase the speed of the connection. When you use Samsung ‘s Kies software to connect your PC by USB cable to the Tab Pro 4, you won’t see the Internal and external storage drives.
Kies will perform firmware upgrades, and while doing so, you can’t use the device for anything else. However, if you are just transmitting folder and file, or synching, you can simultaneously use the Tab Pro 4 features and apps. Using Kies makes transfers safe, and it knows where to put your music, pictures, and videos. For those files and folders, Kies will give you a choice whether to store on the internal storage or external microSD card.
A Snapdragon 800
- 3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (with 2GB RAM), and on-board GPU powers the Tab Pro 4, which is the most advanced and fastest processor used in Android devices. The mini-iPad, by contrast, uses a Apple A7 CPU, which is no slouch, but only 1 GB of RAM on board. In throughput test comparisons, the edge goes to the Tab Pro DISPLAY The Tab Pro 4 has a 5% larger screen area than the min-iPad Retina. The Tab Pro 4’s also has a higher pixel density –
- display resolution is WQXGA (2560 x 1600 pixels) at 359 pixels per inch. That is better than Apple’s retina display (2048 x 1536 pixels) at 326 pixels per inch.
- The aspect ratio of the Tab Pro 4’s screen is 16: 10, which is the same as my computer monitor so everything I see on my PC screen can be shown in even higher resolution on the Tab Pro A 16: 10 aspect ratio is nearly the same as the HDTV aspect ratio of 16: Contrast that to mini-iPad’s aspect ratio of 4: 3, which causes HDTV content to either be truncated on the sides, or the HDTV image to be very small on the screen.
Samsung’s default screen settings are a little too dim for my tastes. The Tab Pro 4 really shines with blazing, vivid colors at slightly higher brightness levels.
The downside to increasing the brightness level is that the screen (which is the primary culprit in battery usage) depletes the battery faster. White is the color with the highest battery drain (white requires all color pixels to be on). So the use of white backgrounds should be eliminated or minimized. I created a wallpaper that is just a totally black rectangle (stored as a. jpg file).
The black wallpaper allows images on the screen to stand out better, even at reduced brightness levels.
I also set my Kindle app to”white type on black background”for the same effect. Finally, I created a lock-screen which has my logo on it on a black background. Clearly, the Tab Pro 4 is positioned to compete aggressively (both feature and price wise) with the Apple Retina mini-iPad. Excellent, very sharp images on the display (depending on the resolution of the image itself).
This is the type of display that you only want high-definition images on.
MULTI-TASKING / MULTI-VIEWING
All Android devices can multi-task, but you can normally only view one screen at a time for any running app. The Tab Pro 4 allows up to four multi-tasking apps to be displayed simultaneously, and you can pair any two so they always show up together.
This is a great feature for comparing two documents side by side, organizing files into different folders, or displaying a graphic in a separate window while browsing a document. It is a big step that brings much of the power of the PC display to the Android Tablet.
Here the edge clearly goes to the mini-iPad Retina with a 6, 470 mAh battery to the Tab Pro
- 4’s 4, 800 mAh battery. That translates to roughly 10+ hours for the mini-iPad Retina versus 8 hours for the Tab Pro Of course, user time will vary greatly
- depending on screen brightness, sound volume, and the number of apps open. If you need more time between charges, consider purchasing a mobile battery extender, and/or invest in a car charger.
BATTERY CHARGER (wall mount)
The supplied Samsung USB Battery charger is rated at 2 amps, which is designed to rapidly recharge the device. Don’t use any battery charger with less than a 2-amp capacity (which would include most cell phone charges) they won’t charge rapidly, if at all. The same goes for the included Samsung USB cable it is designed to handle a 2-amp load on recharging. Other USB cables may not be able to handle a 2-amp current..
Two Cameras –
- 8MP Rear + 2MP Front. That is better than the mini-iPad Retina’s cameras (5MP rear +
- 2MP front.) Not the highest resolution for professional photographers, but very good for the price range, and excellent for the amateur. The higher camera resolution allows a wider utility for the digital zoom without undue pixalation.
And the Tab Pro 4’s rear camera has flash, which the mini-iPad Retina doesn’t. Both have auto-focus. Neither have an optical zoom. GPS The Tab Pro 4 has a fully functional on-board GPS. And it is fully compatible with Google Maps and Google Earth.
The Apple mini-iPad Retina does not have GPS. SOUND The Tab Pro 4 has stereo speakers on the bottom (same as the min-iPad Retina.) Surprisingly good sound comes out these tiny speakers no deep bass, but good enough to listen to movies and music without earphones.
Put on some HiFi earphones for the best sound, or plug into some quality big speakers with a woofer for that big bass component.
At first glance, the included Samsung music player (simply labled”Music”) appears to be just a plain, simple, featureless music player. But it is actually a very understated, but feature rich, player. I mention it here because it would be all too easy to prematurely dismiss it.
You access the features from the Music screen by tapping on the small”Options”icon (three vertical dots) in the upper right corner of the screen, and then tap”Settings,”and then”Player.”It would have been better (and much more noticeable and convenient) to have these in tabbed folders directly from the player screen, but it is what it is. The options under “Settings > Player”are:
- Sound Alive This is a multi-feature that has”Basic”and”Advanced”tabs.
- Under the”Basic”tab is a graphic square layout that allows you to choose a setting between”Instrument” and “Vocal”(Karaoke effect) in five levels on the horizontal; scale, and simultaneously a setting between”Treble”and Bass”in five levels on the vertical scale.
- Some of the setting possibilities are labeled, such as: Classic, Normal, Pop, Rock, and Jazz. Under the”Advanced”tab is a seven-band equalizer, and three special effects choices for”3D,””Bass,”and”Clarity.”Available under either”Basic”or”Advanced”is a”Tube Amp Effect”that puts a little reverb in the sound.
- The”Tube Amp Effect”is only available with the earphones plugged in. -Adapt Sound It is either on or off. I’m not sure what it does, but it only works with the earphones plugged in.
- Play Speed You can slow the music down, or speed it up -by quite a bit using a bar scale. Music Auto Off. Turns the Music player off after a time interval you choose. Lyrics Provides song lyrics. It is an on/off switch, and I presume you have to be subscribed to Google Music, or some lyrics service, to use it. Smart Volume It is an on/off switch that adjusts the sound level of all music tracks to level 1.
SAMSUNG The included Samsung apps for the Tab Pro
- 4 are in a folder named”Samsung”while the Samsung App Store icon is now named”Galaxy Apps.”That is a little confusing, so I thought I would mention it, because the”Samsung”folder icon looks just like an app icon rather than a folder. When you tap on the”Samsung”icon, a window opens up with the included apps displayed (Alarm, Calculator, Downloads, Help, KNOX, S Voice, Side Sync, World Clock.)
- KNOXThink of Knox as in Fort Knox a place of high security. Knox is the secure (encrypted) part of your Tab Pro 4 password protected. When you tap on the Knox icon, it prompts you to create a password and creates a secure folder for all your Knox-secured applications and files.
- It then opens a table of secure (KNOX) versions of applications, some of which are free, and some you might have to pay for. In addition to the included apps, Samsung includes a $25 voucher for your choice of apps to purchase (from the Samsung App Store, not Google Play.)
- Some very powerful business apps in the Samsung store may be free, such as the Hancom Office set (HOffice, Hword, Hcell, Hshow, etc.) which will give you all the power to read, modify, and create Microsoft Office compatible documents.
- Two internet browsers are included. Both are mobile versions, and both will look for a mobile version of the website you are visiting, but both will also provide full internet browsing. Google Chrome Mobile, just labeled”Chrome,”will synch itself with your Google account (if you are signed in.) And if you have tabs pinned on your PC version of Chrome, they will also be pinned in the mobile version. What you won’t get with the mobile version are the apps and extensions that your PC version of Chrome can have. But word is out that Google is working on adding the apps and extensions to the mobile version, with a target release of late 201Chrome will allow you to zoom in and out on the web page. Samsung mobile browser, just labeled”Internet,”has a different tactic you set the”small”print at the level most easily read by your eyes, and the content is sized accordingly. You can still zoom in and out on the web page. I had my doubts about this small print-setting tactic, but after using it, I rather like it.
It may be debatable exactly what the best hand-held thing on the market is now, but the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 4 is right up there at the top feature wise, and price-point.
I, as a rational engineer, would pick the clearly superior Samsung Tab Pro 4 over the Apple Mini-iPad Retina. I bought one for myself. And my wife said she was going to upgrade to the Tab Pro 4 and abandon her Apple mini-iPad. Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 4-Inch Tablet full photos